Catch Me If You Can

Today Ruishan and I played tag on a paper using paint and brushes.

It all started as when sat face to face in the art room during the quiet hour. Lillawas set up the art table with a big piece of paper, some brushes, and paint in three colors: yellow, green and a little bit of sparkling red, and Ruishan began to interact with the materials in their own ways. Soon she was making amazing combination of the three colors. Seeing me really liked the colors, she invitied me to draw my own colors, and together we just painted here and there, she talking about what she was drawing (the sea, the monster, the bunny, the spider, and many others).

It didn’t take us long to use up the paint in the color palette so Ruishan asked for more. We both agreed on the blue, and we began to paint randomly on the paper. She was the one who saw me careless twisting the brush, making the paint moving like a “worm”.

She copied that quickly and said, “let’s play tag! You are the monster and I am the bunny, catch me if you can!” Few rounds after that, seeig that the paper was almost covered with paint, she proposed to paint all over the paper so that is no “white spot”, and her bunny would have many places to hide from the big monster.

I loved the way she was interacting with the paint and stories. She pointed out some places on that paper full of paint as school, monster’s home, bunny’s home, ice-cream shop, beach, sea, lake, woods and brushes. We went tagging each other for a while, and again, she proposed that, “Ok, now we are friends! No more tagging! Let’s go to the ice-cream shop first, and then to the beach. Maybe you can come to my house, but I have to ask mommy first!”

“Now we are friends! No more tagging! Let’s go to the ice-cream shop first, and then to the beach!”